Friday, July 23, 2010

Fretful Friday

"You've Got To Hide Your Love Away is my Dylan period. It's one of those that you sing a bit sadly to yourself, 'Here I stand, head in hand...' I'd started thinking about my own emotions. I don't know when exactly it started, like I'm A Loser or Hide Your Love Away, those kind of things. Instead of projecting myself into a situation, I would try to express what I felt about myself, which I'd done in my books. I think it was Dylan who helped me realise that - not by any discussion or anything, but by hearing his work." ~ John Lennon

When recording the song, John messed up the lyrics, with the line in the first verse meant to be "feeling two foot tall". He sang it "feeling two foot small" by accident, but decided to leave it that way, saying "all the pseuds will love it".

The song was featured in the 1965 movie Help, and shows John playing his 12-string Framus "Hootenanny" guitar.




Recording You've Got to Hide Your Love Away- Anthology version:

No comments:

Post a Comment